The main reason why I don't have anything to get my mom is because I HAVE NO CLUE what to buy. She and I are incredibly different...its easy to buy for people who are similar because I just buy them something I would like. This doesn't work so well with my mom.
- I shop at cool places. My mom shops at Chicos.
- I am constantly on the go and work out & play sports. My mom sleeps 14+ hours a day and sometimes never changes out of her pajamas. (before you say it- my brother already bought her pajamas this year...eff!)
- I drink and party. My mom has a sip of red wine and her face breaks out in a painful rosacea rash.
- I love talking about music, vampires, Harry Potter, celeb gossip, business theory, cultural phenomenons, the trouble with today's youth, and other fun topics. My mom loves to talk about her dogs, Sarah Palin, the Tea Party/Politics du jour, and what she ate that day.
- I think my mom
secretlybelieves I will never get married. My mom thinks I'm a virgin.
Let me tell you about the Presents of Christmas Past....
CHRISTMAS 2005: I got her a special chair pillow for your bed with a build in reading lamp. I thought, "She likes staying in bed all day. She likes reading. This seems perfect!"
CHRISTMAS 2006: I know that my mom is really into watching TV, so I got her a couple seasons of her favorite shows on DVD and a DVD player for her room.
CHRISTMAS 2007: I bought my mom what I thought was a "Chico's"-esque pearl necklace.
CHRISTMAS 2009: My mom is really into Genealogy, which I find to be the bane of my existence. She is always sending me links to online websites where I can stare at dead people I don't know, who supposedly bred to create my blood line. However, I know that she loves it- so I bought her a personalized Family Tree photo frame from Things Remembered. (so that shit wasn't cheap)
CHRISTMAS PRESENT: I am hoping to get her something that she really wants...and something she won't "lose." Something that she will use sooner than 3-5 years from now.
BUT- what do you get a woman who:
- watches DVR all the time but won't learn to use a DVD player? (I could pay her TV bill for a year? HA!)
- pretends that she uses her iPod touch that she got for her birthday, but has already forgotten how to use iTunes? (I refuse to waste money on a kindle if she won't even learn an iPod...)
- was almost late to my brother's wedding rehearsal because she was picking up a gaudy, giant flower broach that Chico's had just got in from backorder? (I don't want to be an enabler of bad fashion...I just can't do it.)