Because reality doesn't seem all that sexy.
Lofty, unreachable goals are sexy in the same way that bad boys are sexy. Even if only for a brief moment in time, you believe with all your heart that you(he) can change. It lasts the customary 6-12weeks before the crash and burn. The heartbreak. The defeat. The 48hour pajama & ice cream fest.
While I still haven't learned to apply this wisdom to my penchant for assholes, I HAVE applied what I know to setting goals for myself...heartbreak free!
Realistic New Year's Resolutions:
- Waste less money groceries. I have the best intentions every time I hit the store- I truly believe I will pack my lunch every day and cook myself dinner to save money and be healthy. Yet every garbage day, I am dumping stinky, rotting veggies and whatever else I didn't put in the freezer. I am just too social to stay in every night for dinner. I am my own worst enemy...so rather than trying to "save so much money" by cooking at home (then letting the food spoil), I will just buy less. And when in doubt, freeze it!
- Promise to attempt Dukan Diet again. IT WORKED last time! But I have a love affair with carbs, and like a moth to flame I fell off the no-carb wagon in a big way this holiday season. I am not vowing to lose a certain amount of weight...I am just vowing to try the diet again. So it's a win-win! I do it and lose weight- WIN! I try it and fail- still followed through on the resolution! WIN!
- Go on more dates. This one works well because I didn't date a whole lot in 2010...so the bar is very low. I don't know how I am going to pull this off exactly because I don't have total control. I mean, someone has to either ask me or say yes when I ask- BUT I am willing to try.
- Continue to abstain from smoking. I have never smoked a cigarette in my life, so this should be easy enough.
- Watch every season of Golden Girls on DVD. No explanation needed.