But don't be fooled by my tardiness, Lollapalooza 2012 was my favorite year so far! (last year's recap here) It was the year of epic: epic storms, epic t shirts, epic dance parties, and epic drunkenness. (spoiler alert: on Saturday night, I spent 1.5 hours in a constant state of confusion about which show I was watching...I still swear Calvin Harris was DJ-ier than I expected.) (Yes, I just made up the word "DJ-ier") So please forgive my delayed posting of this epic story, and enjoy the show!
Some of my favorite people of all time and excellent new additions. (Including The Muchacho, Mademoiselle BlondeMess, Captain Inappropriate, MFFBF, and Homeboy from #Richpeopleproblems infamy)
Summertime in Chicago - but hotter & sweatier than usual with a brief interlude from the 1996 cinematic hit Twister. The Lollapalooza Music Festival is home to hoards of people walking around in jorts, body paint, Ray Ban sunglasses, Ironic T-shirts, and nearly naked girls wearing tutus with body glitter as undergarments.
- Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs (A Top 5 show of the weekend)
- Tame Impala
- Afghan Wigs
- Nero (A Top 5 show of the weekend)
- Black Keys
- Aloe Blacc
- Neon Indian
- Skream & Benga (their nirvana mix was fucking amazing..and the mud pit was, too: here)
- Calvin Harris (at least I was *told* it was him...still not clear)
- Bloc Party
- Red Hot Chili Peppers (When they opened with "Around the World, I suddenly came out of my drunken haze, and knew exactly where I was and who I was listening to! here)
- Santigold (A Top 5 show of the weekend)
- Devil Makes Three
- Trampled by Turtles
- Little Dragon
- Dr P
- Toro Y Moi
- Big Gigantic (A Top 5 show of the weekend)
- Florence & the Machine (most crowded show I tried to enjoy all weekend...I gave up)
- Miike Snow (A Top 5 show of the weekend - see here)
- Jack White (the closest I have ever been to seeing a real vampire)
- Childish Gambino (If I could have any birthday wish this year, it would be to MARRY Donald Glover....he is my favorite new artist of 2011/12 - He closed so strong, I think I jumped for 20 minutes straight... here)
- Of Monsters and Men (at the Billboard afterparty)
- DINOSAURS! If you ever have a chance to see Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs, please do. Homeboy DJs the entire Set while wearing a dinosaur costume...WORTH IT!
- NERO! I raved so hard - this was such a strong start to my Friday night.
- BIG GIGANTIC! There is nothing better than a DJ/Live Saxophonist combo. I really really considered stealing the blow up saxophone that I peeped some hipster kids playing with.
- CHILDISH GAMBINO! I love him. He is talented and witty and nerdy and really really hot. Next year, we shall be married...and you are invited.
- T SHIRTS! Ironic & funny t shirts definitely stepped up their game this year... as you can see from my photo gallery.
- ARMAGEDDON 2012. (a.k.a. The Storm Evacuation on Saturday Afternoon) - When National Weather Service called and says that a 2 hour brick wall of destruction is headed directly to Grant Park, Lolla listened. We had hoped that the forced evacuation would thin the herd and it would be less crowded in the evening...however, it seems like everyone did EXACTLY what we did. Hang out in a hotel room and play drinking games with liquor OR my other hypothesis is that the evacuation was best thing that ever happened to Chicago drug dealers. Because not only did EVERYONE come back to the concert (maybe even more crowds than before), but everyone came back super fucked up.
- NEARLY NAKED GIRLS! The Muchacho boldly stated, "You know why I don't want kids? Because they may grow up to be sluts like those girls." (pointing to the two girls wearing tutus & lingerie)
- BAD DECISION AUGUST! I am not the only one who chose to make some bad decisions at at lolla... between the Mud, the Indian Headdresses, the Awkwardly Awesome People/tattoos, and the nearly naked tutu girls (not pictured due to feared kiddie porn charges) - it is clear that Lolla is a time where all decisions are welcome, good AND bad alike.
I hope to see you all there again next year!